Applications and Status of 5G Edge Computing Gateways
Edge computing is a network edge-based computing model that provides multiple resources such as computing, storage, and network. 5G edge computing gateways for industrial enterprises in agile connectivity, real-time services, data optimization, application intelligence, security, and privacy protection.
Architecture of 5G edge computing gateway
Edge computing extends cloud services to the edge of the network by introducing 5G edge computing gateways between end devices and the cloud. The edge computing architecture includes the endpoint layer, edge layer and cloud layer, and the 5G edge computing gateway belongs to the endpoint layer.
What is the terminal layer
The terminal layer is the closest layer to the end user and includes 5G edge computing gateways, sensors, smartphones, smart cars, smart cards, card readers, etc. To improve the service efficiency of the 5G edge computing gateway, it is necessary to avoid complex operations on the 5G edge computing gateway. Therefore, raw data can only be collected and then uploaded to the upper layer for calculation and storage through the role of 5G edge computing gateway. The upper terminal layer is mainly carried out via the cellular network.
Benefits of 5G Edge Computing Gateway
1. Real-time processing and analysis of data. The calculation work of the original cloud computing center is transferred to the 5G edge computing gateway, replacing the external data center and the cloud; this improves the speed of data delivery and ensures real-time processing while reducing the computational load.
2.Have high security. Since the traditional cloud computing model is centralized, it is susceptible to decentralized service interruptions and outages. The edge computing model distributes processing, storage, and applications between the edge computing gateway and the cloud computing center, thereby enhancing the security of edge computing. The approach also reduces the probability of a single failure.
3. Confidentiality of personal data and increased security of data. The edge computing model is to do more data processing on the local device rather than uploading it to the cloud computing center. Therefore, edge computing also reduces the real danger to data. Even if the device is attacked, the data can only be collected locally, not in a corrupted cloud computing center.
4. Scalability. Edge computing offers a cheaper path to scalability, allowing companies to expand their computing capabilities through a combination of IoT devices and edge data centers. Using IoT devices with processing power also reduces the cost of scaling, so no added edge computing gateways create significant bandwidth demands on the network.
5. Location-aware. Edge-distributed devices use low-level signaling for information sharing. The edge computing mode receives information about the location of the edge devices in the local access network. 5G edge computing gateways are able to pass relevant location information and data to the boundary nodes based on their own real-time positioning, and the boundary nodes make judgments and decisions based on the available data.
6. Low traffic volume. By performing local calculation and analysis on the data collected by the 5G edge computing gateway, it is not necessary to upload all the data from the 5G edge computing gateway to the cloud computing center, which reduces the traffic of the network.
Typical applications of 5G edge computing gateways
1. Medical services.
2. Video analytics.
3. Vehicle connectivity.